Thursday 7 April 2011

To be Or Not To Be....Monologue Performance


            Here I am in my final semester and I thought I had gone through my deepest fear and darkest hours. Then, I realised I just moved from bad to worse. That’s how I felt when I got the news that I had to stage 2 performances this semester for Theatre in TESL course. One of it is a monologue performance. After hearing that each of us had to act out a monologue as the first performance, I went back home having all kinds of mixed feeling. I had some experiences in acting but it was almost 20 years ago, during my primary school days. As if acting was not bad enough, I had to do it all alone. The mere imagination of having so many pairs of eyes focusing on me alone was indeed seemed creepy. 
            After I had got the clear view of what monologue is about, I was relieved. Since it was more of expressing one own self, I thought it would be a piece of cake, since all I have to do is express my frustration like I had been doing all this while. Suddenly, a thought came to my mind. What if I got carried away of expressing my frustration? What if I tend to talk more than I supposed to? So, I decided to be safe than sorry, I wanted to play some other role which is easily controlled and I do not have to worry about blurting out things that I would regret later. I turned to look up on the internet and observe any monologue performance posted on ‘YouTube’. I was surprised to see how a person can transform themselves into any character that they played. Amazing! This is one of the monologue performance that really helps as a guide. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment